Saturday, April 4, 2009

Rejection's Temptation

Well there she was, the girl I loved,
With no one at her side.
She smiled and waived as I approached,
In shock, I then replied.

She said, 'I'm waiting here for you;
This is to be your day. '
I said, 'what has become of us
For us to meet this way? '

She said she really did not know
Or care to think at all.
As she had come to answer true
Her final conscience call.

I said I thought she would object
To being seen with me.
She said, 'Oh no, it's not that way,
Here's where I want to be.'

'Oh sure, ' I said, 'So you may say,
Am I to hear such lies?
I wished it so for oh so long,
I can't believe my eyes.'

'I guess I understand, ' she said,
As she began to cry.
'I'm learning now the pain of love
When there is no reply.'

I said, 'I'm sorry for your pain,
I've felt it once before.'
She said she'd hoped to be with me
This day and evermore.

I said, 'I shall not turn away,
Though tempting it would be.
To have you feel the pain I've known
Would bring no joy to me.'

'I hear, ' she said, ' your soothing words,
I feel much better now.
It seems that since you want me still,
My pain is gone somehow.'

'I know, ' I said, ' It's only there
When lovers close their heart
To those they know who want them so,
To keep them far apart.'

'I could not have you feel the pain
That I have felt so much.
Though I believe we all should know
Rejection's savage clutch.'

Then she placed her hand in mine,
I wiped her tears away,
She said she'd give what love remained
To me, on this, my day.

I can't explain what came to be
Or was that time with her,
A story such as this, when told,
Has endings we defer.

But this I know as pain and love
Are felt both near and far.
Rejection tempts its own base deeds,
No matter who you are.

GREENWOLFE 1962

No comments:

Post a Comment