Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pain

I set myself a task today,
To write of pain in rhyme.
Of the love I lost so long ago,
Remembered for all time.

The pain is not forgotten
Around my broken heart.
For even if I love again,
It's chained around each part.

The pain that had been pleasure
Before she ran away,
Was changed in just an instant,
Like sand to solid clay.

I shivered and I cringed in pain,
My heart to cold hard clay.
To change me from the boy I was
And the man I'm not today.

The pain had soon consumed my life,
My dreams in darkness too.
My anger and my sorrow,
My hate for the world I knew.

It's only bitter that I taste
And only grey I see.
And when lovers warm each other still
It brings a chill to me.

Once I tried to release my chains
That held my love so true.
I actually found someone to give
A cold-chained loving to.

But alas! It ended as before
With a chain around each part.
And now my love lies chilled forever
At the bottom of a broken heart.

GREENWOLFE 1962

No comments:

Post a Comment