Saturday, November 22, 2008

When I Stood By The Sea (A Tribute to Poe and Annabel Lee

Twas once upon a time I stood
Nearby the sounding sea .
By the man who loved the maiden .
Beautiful , Annabel Lee .

As he spoke then , my sorrow welled .
And likewise did the sea .
It seemed that even Neptune sighed ,
And welled ; wept both wind and lee .

And that was well , for each of us
Now yearned and wept as three .
For all the maidens men have loved
In such kingdoms by the sea .

And so that evening as I stood ;
Just Neptune , Poe , and me .
I spied a spirit maiden wrapped
In a gown blown loose and free .

The specter heard our mournful wail
Like sirens by the sea .
And drifted by and wondered at
Such sad , sorrowed souls as we .

He looked , and then Poe saw her eyes .
As Neptune did , and me .
The same he saw so long ago
In a kingdom by the sea .

He stretched his arms , and she stretched hers ;
As Neptune's arms gripped me .
And as we cried , she took him up .
Both then , as if one , you see .

Then Neptune's trident pointed out
The way for Poe and she .
And those three drifted up and off
This cliff , by the sounding sea .

The last I saw , as I stood still
And felt the wind blow free ;
The maiden that Poe dearly loved
From that kingdom by the sea .

She turned her head and cast her eyes
And smiled a smile at me .
Twas then I knew , she'd take me too ;
This soul , called Annabel Lee .


GREENWOLFE 1962

No comments:

Post a Comment